Search This Blog

Friday, April 5, 2019

April 8 - 12 Tenacity Goforth

Opportunity Statement:   Coolidge Elementary will continue to provide all students with academic, social, and emotional growth opportunities through great teaching and the utilization of our community resources.  We will maintain high expectations for all students, as well as expand our efforts to cultivate a positive school culture that encourages intellectual and social growth.”


Coolidge Vision and Mission
Our Mission:  “Educate students for lifelong learning and responsible living.”
Our Vision:  “Provide a learning environment that promotes and develops academic and
social growth.”





  • Monday - 9:00 a.m. Downtown will be here to meet with parents about transfers, boundaries, etc.
  • Tuesday - PreK to the Zoo, Fruit Infused Water a gift from the Health Department
  • Wednesday - Fruit Infused Water for teachers - a gift from the Health Department.
  • Thursday
  • Friday
Please be sure to complete the survey on the Coolidge drive, SURVEY

PBIS - This is a GREAT Read.  In the comments - what is something you might want to consider doing differently?

Run in the Halls

Lori Sabo

Issue #560
My heartbeat quickened when I saw the 70 percent off advertisement because I have had my eye on an enameled cast iron pan for quite a while. After going right to the website, I was disappointed to find that the item I have been wanting was not discounted enough for me to afford it. Confused, I looked back at the ad. That is when I saw it . . . the words Up to . . . Ugh! When I initially read it, all that registered in my brain was 70 percent off.
Many of you are shaking your heads, thinking it was obvious from the beginning. And some of you would have internalized the words the same way I did. 
The same thing happens in our schools. It is why we are so careful when choosing our words with students. Although 98 percent of our students will hear the whole directive when we say, “Please don’t run in the halls,” 2 percent will hear “run in the halls” and think it is a great idea because they’ll get where they are going much faster.
If we want everyone to hear the message clearly and correctly, we will phrase things in such a way that if they attend only to the end, they will still be successful.
  • Don’t sit by your friends. Find a successful spot.
  • Don’t walk around. Stay in one place.
  • Get started without wasting time. Get started right away.
  • Don’t talk to your friends. Read quietly the whole time.
  • Don’t quit. Build stamina.
  • Don’t pay attention to distractions. Ignore distractions.
Tune in to your written and verbal language this week. See if there are phrases you can tweak so that students, no matter how they hear you, will understand and perform the expectation with accuracy and independence.

Testing Schedule this Week - Subject to Change:

April 8thApril 9thApril 10thApril 11thApril 12th
3rd Reading Clements/Diaz 9am3rd Reading Clements/Diaz 9am5th Alvarez/Letka Writing 9:45am5th Alvarez/Letka Reading 9:45amMAKEUPS
3rd Reading Harris/Lewis 9am3rd Reading Harris/Lewis 9am5th Pearson/Diaz WRITING 9:45am5th Pearson/Diaz Reading 9:45amMAKEUPS
3rd Reading Jackson/Barnes 9am3rd Reading Jackson/Barnes 9am5th Layman/Irwin WRITING 9:45am5th Layman/Irwin Reading 9:45am5th Alvarez/Letka Reading 9:45am
3rd Reading McNeill/Irwin 9am3rd Reading McNeill/Irwin 9am5th Hensley/Lewis WRITING 9:45am5th Hensley/Lewis Reading 9:45am5th Pearson/Diaz Reading 9:45am
3rd Reading Grp 1 Cappellaro/Jimenez 9am3rd Reading Grp 1 Cappellaro/Jimenez 9am5th Christian/O'Shields WRITING 9:45am5th Christian/O'Shields Reading 9:45am5th Layman/Natarajan Reading 9:45am
3rd Reading Grp 2 (Capp) DYE/Powers 9:15am3rd Reading Grp 2 (Capp) DYE/Powers 9:15am5th Hunt/Jimenez Reading 1 WRITING 9:45am5th Hunt/Jimenez Reading 1 9:45am5th Hensley/Lewis Reading 9:45am
3rd Reading Alvarez Briggs/Hobson 9am3rd Reading Alvarez Briggs/Hobson 9am5th (Hunt) DYE/Niblett WRITING 9:45am5th (Hunt) Reading DYE/Niblett 9:45am5th Christian/O'Shields Reading 9:45am
5th Hunt/Jimenez Reading 1 9:45am
3rd Reading PM Fernando with Dye/Natarajan 1pm3rd Reading PM Fernando with Dye/Natarajan 1pm5th (Hunt) Reading DYE/Niblett 9:45am
3rd Reading Briggs Barnes/Letka 1pm3rd Reading Briggs Barnes/Letka 1pm
3rd Reading Hobson Diaz/Lewis 1pm3rd Reading Hobson Diaz/Lewis 1pm5th Niblett/Lewis PM Writing 1:15pm5th Niblett/Lewis PM Reading 1:15pm5th Niblett/Lewis PM Reading 1:15pm


Testing TeacherGradeClassroom BuddyGradeLate Arrivals
McNeill3BaringerKBarnett5th/6th
Clements3CoyleKStout4th
Jackson3LeesonKTravis3rd
Harris3JonesK
Harden4ScottPK
Caldwell4BarnettPK
Navarro4Smith1st
Pearson5Reinhardt1st
Layman5Keys1st
Hensley5Werito1st
Tucker6Fast2nd
Gorman6Gill2nd
Rolland6Wendling2nd
Bring work packet, chapter book, and a ChromeBook to work on Lexia, Myon, Khan Academy, Prodogy, and Imagine Math







Focused Instruction + Layered Strategies = Powerful, Proficient Reading



It is gratifying to sit with a child who has an arsenal of strategies to access as they navigate their way through a text. It shows the power of targeted, supportive instruction and the CAFE Menu. Here is a glimpse into a conference I had with a third grader.
I joined Karly just as she pulled The Frog Prince Continued by Jon Scieszka out of her book box.
She looked at the title, read "The Frog Prince Connected," and asked, "Why does it say connected?"
"That is a great question," I responded. "It didn't sound right to me either. Let's cross-check that last word. Breaking it into chunks might help you decode it."
She figured it out by breaking it into three syllables.
After asking what she knew about the original fairy tale, I discovered she had never heard it, so she was treated to a condensed version of this childhood favorite of mine. Then she began to read. Here are the errors she made and the strategies she used to fix them up without prompting from me:
  • He ran deepier into the forest. (Cross-check plus Back up and reread) He ran deeper into the forest.
  • The Prince stopped on the slighty (Cross-check) slightly gummy steps.
  • (Hard first gGingerbread. (Flip the sound) Gingerbread.
  • The Prince walked up to her, hopping she wasn't a witch. (Cross-check. Flip the sound. Back up and reread) The Prince walked up to her, hoping she wasn't a witch.
  • Could you help me? Gosh, do you need it? (Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody.) Gosh, do you need it.
  • The Prince couldn't believe his roetten luck. (Flip the sound) . . . rotten luck. 
  • The carriage instidentally (Break the word into chunks) instantly turned back into his former Prince self.
Wow. She was really monitoring for meaning as she read. This conference was a testimony to the power of the CAFE Menu and how focused instruction and layering strategies can help our students be powerful, proficient readers.





















Where do I find?.........



Kindergarten

1st Grade

2nd Grade

3rd Grade

4th Grade

5th Grade

6th Grade 
 Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days
Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days
 Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days 
  Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days
  Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days
  Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days
 Bundled Standards

Year at a Glance

First 20 Days


OKCPS ELA Standards by Grade Level
OKCPS and OAS Crosswalk
OKCPS ELA Bundles


6th Grade Bundles


OKCPS Math  by Grade Level
OKCPS-OAS Crosswalks
OKCPS Standards by Bundles
Pre-Kindergarten  Bundles
Kindergarten  Bundles


Elementary ELA Year- at- a- Glance









16 comments:

  1. Use the PBIS Rewards System. State clear POSITIVE expectations for your students. Be positive with your teammates - we are in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have empathy for students and staff. Build relationships. Don’t make snap decisions. Be consistent. Do what is right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a key idea in my classroom. If I do not explicitly state what I want done, life could get real interesting with their interpretation of what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to always remember children are a blessing a gift and it is my job to lead not punish
    If they are troubled they might have already had enough punishment or perhaps neglect just stay positive
    I can only pray that I might be the one individual in that child’s life that my change the direction they are going for the positive
    As for staff just be there to help and encourage I have learned it is most pleasant to surround myself with people of the same goal as me so we can encourage each other to be the best we can be
    P.S this is why I love Coolidge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to keep remembering our culture of "Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible." So instructions are what I WANT them to do rather than not do, "Show me a line," or "Please face forward." Even in choices, "You can sit here or here," of 2 places I am okay with. I am not perfect at it, but I keep trying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to be positive in everything we do. As a teacher we are here to teach the little's with respect, good expectations, manners, and positive things. Build a good relationship with the kiddos they are our future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. State what behavior/action you want instead of the behavior/action that you do not what. Give/demonstrate positive examples instead of negative ones. Point out the positives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Earlier this year Stephanie Schutt spent a morning observing my classroom and had many great suggestions for classroom management. One thing that really stuck with me was verbally stating the action that is desired. I am still practicing this! I also try to show my students the 3 tenets through my actions and words to coworkers and students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be safe, be respectful, be responsible, work hard, and you get four reward points!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to work more on acknowledging students good behavior or positive actions. Stay consistent with procedures and modeling expectations. Continue building positive relationships with students.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will ensure my students repeat directions back to me and are given ample oppurtunity to ask questions on an individual basis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are days when I remember to speak positively and then there are days when my students are all jumping on that very tiny small nerve I have left and instead of reminding them of my expectations, I may say be quiet, or don't run. I have to remember to be better because they deserve better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to be more positive in stating my expectations to my students. I loved the suggestions that were given.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every good golf instructor knows to tell his pupil to hit it in the fairway. Never tell them NOT to hit in in the water, because that is exactly what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I find that being positive with my students even when they are having a rough day shows the expectations I have for my classroom. Each student may have an issue that they are dealing with that may enhance their difficulty with minor things going on in the classroom, so I find that using the PBIS rewards tends to help with behavior that is becoming unacceptable and they change it to a better more positive day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am constantly working on phrasing directions and redirecting students in a positive way like the examples listed. I try to make statements that remind them of expectations and tell them what I want them to do rather than what they can't do. I have noticed that how I say things has an immediate impact on the overall atmosphere, with both positive and negative effects.

    ReplyDelete