Search This Blog

Friday, September 8, 2017

September 10 Rise N Shine Hickman

Our Mission:  “Educate students for lifelong learning and responsible living.”
Our Vision:  “Provide a learning environment that promotes and develops academic and
social growth.”



Author of the Month:  Roald Dahl.  
Word of the Month:  Intelligent  Rise N Shine:  Ms. Hickman



Building Problem of Practice: Helping Students Practice Skills, Strategies, and Processes
Focus Statement: When the content involves a skill, strategy, or process, the teacher engages students in practice activities that help them develop fluency and alternative ways of executing procedures.


Desired Effect: Evidence (formative data) demonstrates students develop automaticity with skills, strategies, or processes.

How are your students engaging in activities that help them develop fluency with skills, strategies, or processes?
Literacy:  Main Idea and Supporting Details.  You should be on Week 2 of Benchmark Literacy.
Math:
K: Everyday Math  1st Place Value 2nd Place Value  3rd Place Value, Addition & Subtraction  4th:  Multiplying & Dividing 5th:  Division & Place Value  6th:  Integers, Fractions, Decimals & Percent



Monday, Sept. 11:  IEP meetings and Informal Observations that count.  New Teacher Meeting.
Tuesday, Sept 12:  PLC meetings.  Benchmark Literacy, Foss Science, and Math Bundles.  Health Department Survey Due.  No Faculty Meeting - Special Election Day.  
Wednesday, Sept 13:  IEP meetings, Informal Observations that count, Fall Into A Good Book Planning Meeting - Library
Thursday, Sept 14:  Informal Observations that Count,  Smart Start, Child Count Due for Special Education
Friday, Sept 15:  Informal observations that count.




Mr. Hester and the Health Department crew have requested the staff at Coolidge complete an anonymous survey about Nutrition and Physical Activity as part of the grant we are receiving. The survey link is below.

Please complete this QUICK survey by TUESDAY 9/12!




In the comments section.... what are 2 things kids wish teachers knew?  Would you want to be in your classroom?  Would you want your child in your classroom?  Remember, every child is someone's baby.


To Develop Every Child Into a Reader:
  • Everyday a child reads something they choose to read.
  • Every child reads accurately
  • Every child reads something they understand.
  • Every child writes something that is personal and meaningful daily.
  • Every child talks with peers about reading and writing.
  • Every child hears an adult reader read fluently.
Coolidge Elementary Academic Goals for 2017- 2018

  • All Students WILL achieve academically.
  • Reading:  Increase reading proficiency by at least one grade level, and know their current F & P level.
  • Math:  Increase math achievement by 10% with 80% mastery of math facts on grade level.  
  • Writing:  Increase writing proficiency by 15%
  • Student Attendance:  Increase student attendance to 98%.
  • Increase Faculty Attendance to 98%
          1st Grade
          2nd Grade
          3rd Grade
          4th Grade
          5th Grade
          6th Grade
OKCPS Math Standards
          Pre-K
          Kindergarten
          1st Grade
          2nd Grade
          3rd Grade
          4th Grade
          5th Grade
Coolidge Elementary School | Oklahoma City Public Schools
5212 S. Villa, Oklahoma City, OK 73119
(405) 587-2800
(405) 208-1581 (cell)

23 comments:

  1. Kids wish teachers knew how they learn best and that many of their basic needs aren’t always being met at home. I would want to be in a classroom that is safe and is a place where I was treated with dignity and respect. I try to provide that for my students. Though I wouldn’t want my child in an ED classroom unless it was absolutely necessary, I would want them to have a teacher that is honest, fair, and builds authentic relationships with their students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids wish teachers knew that they want their teachers to like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids wish their teachers knew that they are distracted because they did not get enough sleep last night. Kids also wish their teachers knew that they do not see their parents much because they work multiple jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kids wish their teachers knew that they need structure.
    Kids wish their teachers knew that they need attention.
    My child was in an ESL classroom. When I asked him what they did there, he said they played games and had fun. He said that was the only class he liked at that time because that was the only class where he understood what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kids wish their teachers knew that they are an important person for their teachers. I always be honest with them. I'm telling them almost every week that the only thing that anybody can take from them is the education. I know that many students have problem at home. Like they do not have food or other primary necessities. I want that they can read every night before go to bed. My students get a reading log with a book. They need to read and parent signed. Every day they take another book from my library and returned the other. I have a treasure box where they can find a price. I think that is a good motivation for them.





    ReplyDelete
  6. Kids wish their teachers knew the challenges they face at home. Kids wish their teachers knew the struggles they have at school (whether it is classwork, making friends, problems they are having with other students, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids wish their teachers knew that even if they balk, they crave structure. Kids also wish their teachers knew that they hear about "adult news" (i.e. devastating weather, politics, immigration, so on) and are tired of being told, "Don't worry. Everything is ok." They want to know the truth!

    Would I want to be in my classroom? I think if I were a third grade kid again, I would like my classroom.
    Would I want my child to be in my classroom? YES! When Oliver gets to go to school, I hope he has a no nonsense teacher that holds him accountable! Teaches him social skills and explains why things are the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids wish their teacher knew that it is a scary world for many and they need lots of hugs and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kids wish their teacher knew the situation at home. I think the child that has a good home life wants you to know and the child that has the not so good situation also wants you to know so maybe you can know why they act like they do. Sometimes I get so caught up in what I need to be teaching that I forget that without the love and approval of the teacher the child may not learn.
    Most days I would like to be in my classroom. My child was in my classroom--she had no choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kids wish their teachers knew that sometimes they don't know what they need. Kids wish their teachers knew how much they need words of affirmation every day.


    If I were a student, I think I would love being in my classroom. There are high expectations, a abundance of student choice and say, and a variety of methods of teaching. This may be biased but of course I would want my kids in my classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kids wish their teachers knew that sometimes they can't control their actions when they are hungry. Kids wish their teachers knew how badly they crave positive reinforcement.

    I use a lot of games and hands on activities in my classroom so yes I think I would enjoy being in my room.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids wish their teachers knew that they have real world problems (hunger, shelter, health). Kids wish their teachers knew that school can be their happy place.

    If I were a student, I don't think I would like my class much. I'm trying to fix that. Balancing work with structure and fun takes more dedication and attention then I realized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kids wish their teachers knew that although they act out, it's because they don't have the words or confidence to share what's really going on in their life. Also, that no matter how I behave that school is a safe place for me.
    Yes, I would want to be and have my child to have a school counselor like me, because I give myself the permission to be "fluffy" with children and I try to use strategies that are child centered that make children feel comfortable to share not only the fluffy/fun stuff but the uncomfortable/scary stuff they are dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kids want their teacher to know and understand where they come from, an insight to their home life and how sometimes they may have situations at home that can affect them the next day at school. I need to work on listening more to some stories I'm told by my kids and understanding that they may be trying to relate something to me or just talk to me to get some input because they trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kids wish their teachers knew that they needed to breathe for just a moment. We all lead such busy lives that sometimes resting for just a moment is all we need.
    Kids wish their teachers knew that all they want is to feel accepted.

    Would I want to be in my classroom? Would I want my child in my classroom?
    I think if I were in school I would want to be in my physical education class and I would want my child in there. I always loved P.E. I love choosing the activities and making it enjoyable for all learners. Not just the athletically inclined students, but for all skill levels

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kids wish teachers knew how hard they are trying - success doesn't have to look the same for everyone or every day! They also wish teachers knew many of them don't get honesty, structure, or get to enjoy being a child at home - so of course they don't know how to react to those things appropriately at school.
    Most of the time I would enjoy being in my classroom because it is often a safe and calm environment with focus on individual abilities and needs. My students ARE my children...even the ones who are most challenging to love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kids wish their teachers knew how difficult their lives are at home and that school is often their only safe place. Kids also want their teachers to know that their behavior is not directed at them, but a way to deal with all of the stresses in their life. I would enjoy being in my classroom because I feel I help to fill in some of the gaps of their emotional needs. I would want my child to be in my class because it is my goal to help every child make progress, no matter how fast or slow, I just want to see them make progress while they are with me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with all the teachers who have chimed in -- the kids wish their teachers knew what all they are experiencing outside of school. This is reflected in their behavior, their abilities, their attitudes.
    I try to make my space a place that every student feels comfortable, safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kids wish their teachers knew how difficult home life is at times. Their behavior is a result of frustration and not knowing how to deal with their feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kids just want to know their teachers like them... and to be loved

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kids wish teachers knew that even though sometimes it does not seem like it, they are doing the best they can. Also, kids want teachers to know that they need them, especially when they don't act like it.

    ReplyDelete