Search This Blog

Friday, April 21, 2017

April 24, 2017

Our Mission:  “Educate students for lifelong learning and responsible living.”
Our Vision:  “Provide a learning environment that promotes and develops academic and
social growth.”

Attaining Learning Outcomes = Higher Achievement

Happy Administrative Assistants Week.  Be sure to stop by and let Victoria, Bri, Stephanie, Daisy, and Lucy know how much you appreciate all they do for Coolidge.  
  • Monday:  Girls on the Run
  • Tuesday:  PLC Meetings
  • Wednesday:  All support staff - come see me to sign your support evaluations.  Leadership Meeting, Gifted & Talented.  Girls on the Run
  • Thursday:  Brett Principal Meeting
  • Friday:  Kindergarten Field Trip - Water Safety
  • Saturday:  Early Birds at Coolidge
Science Night is coming..... Science night is coming.....(May 18th....)
Please be working on your Science Night activities.  A group project to display, individual science fair projects, etc.  Ms. Kelsey's 5th grade class is working on posters of famous scientists as well as  Google Slides projects on these individuals.  This is another opportunity to make up some of those "snow day" hours....

PBIS NOTES:

Fill Your Bucket - and that of your students.  When we are kind we fill our bucket, when we are nice, when we help, when we smile it makes for a better day for everyone.


In the comment section:  what did you do this week to Fill the Bucket of the porcupines you work with?



To Develop Every Child Into a Reader:
  • Everyday a child reads something they choose to read.
  • Every child reads accurately
  • Every child reads something they understand.
  • Every child writes something that is personal and meaningful daily.
  • Every child talks with peers about reading and writing.
  • Every child hears an adult reader read fluently.
Coolidge Elementary Academic Goals for 2016-2017
  • All Students WILL achieve academically.
  • Reading:  Increase reading proficiency by at least one grade level.
  • Math:  Increase math achievement by 10% with 80% mastery of math facts on grade level.  
  • Writing:  Increase writing proficiency by 15%
  • Student Attendance:  Increase student attendance to 98%.
  • Increase Faculty Attendance to 98%
OKCPS Literacy Standards
          1st Grade
          2nd Grade
          3rd Grade
          4th Grade
          5th Grade
          6th Grade
OKCPS Math Standards
          Pre-K
          Kindergarten
          1st Grade
          2nd Grade
          3rd Grade
          4th Grade
          5th Grade

Melissa Brett | Principal
Coolidge Elementary School | Oklahoma City Public Schools
5212 S. Villa, Oklahoma City, OK 73119
(405) 587-2800
(405) 208-1581 (cell)

16 comments:

  1. Greet those children with the magic triad - a smile, kind words, and a soft touch. This week to fill the bucket of the porcupines that were in the office this week I met with each individual child to discuss that was going on and what could we do the change their behavior so they didn't end up in the office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to greet my students at the door in the mornings for high fives, good mornings, and hugs. I always enjoy the little stories they tell me when coming into the classroom. I had a little porcupine in the office this morning. He did not want to come to class with me, because he got in trouble at home for misbehaving the day before. As a result of some principal power and some special magic from Victoria he came to class happy and ready to make play dough patterns. I appreciate the support! He turned his day around and earned some Snaps for good hallway procedures. He is one sticker away from earning a lollipop for good behavior. I will keep talking with him on making good choices and discuss with him how we can change his behavior. My little friend is very smart and I want him to succeed! Today at centers he was making a ladybug with me and he noticed that I had on a Star Wars lanyard. He then started telling me all about the light sabers the good guys and bad guys use in the Star Wars movies. Then two other little boys at the center joined in the conversion. I liked that we were bonding over something that I begin liking when I was their age. I find that centers is my favorite time to bond with my kids, along with morning greetings and recess.

      Delete
  2. I greet each of my 108 students with either a hello/hug/fist bump/high five/whatever. I had 2 porcupines achieve perfect days in class for 2 days in a row. I bragged about them to their teachers and asked if I could call home to brag about them, sadly they both declined. I complimented 1 porcupine on his handling of a situation with mean people. He chose to walk away and avoid the conflict (earlier in the year he would have tried to fight them). I told him I was proud of his choice to walk away and come talk with me. Then he and talked out the issue and he admitted his role in the problem. I then complimented him on his honesty for admitting his role in the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week to "hug" my porcupines I implemented a new strategy I learned from class where I use "I" statements rather than "you" statements. This is an emotional hug because it took the pressure off of that friend and validated the way they were feeling. I have high expectations for my students but they also know if they have an "off" moment then I am there to build them back up whether that be giving them the space they need or a real hug or a task that redirects them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky to have 2 days with the porcupines in another room this week. I tried to fill their buckets by being understanding about the stress changing their routine was causing and each day I thanked them for cooperating (when they were able to choose to cooperate). I was so proud of them for adjusting to "Burmaster's Way" and working so hard! Even when they struggled, I could see them trying. In fact, the porcupines figuratively hugged me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this week, for a particular lunch duty porcupine, I congratulated him on making a good choice so he wouldn't get into an altercation. In my classroom, whether they were my 'usuals' or some testing friends, I tried to be consistent and patient. Near the end of the week, getting my own precious porcupines back into the routine was tough. Again, I continued being patient when they wanted to talk to much yet set some boundaries so they wouldn't continue that behavior. We can't work like that for the next 5 weeks! :) There is still plenty of learnin' to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave my porcupines a job in my classroom and made sure they knew how thankful I was for their help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little porcupine got rewarded with free time on the leap pad after they were able to successfully make it through the morning by making good choices and successfully completing their work without having difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In our room, we use the bucket filling and bucket dipping strategy daily. For one particular porcupine, I try to point out ways that he fills his classmates buckets and even when he fills my bucket; I make a big deal about it asking the students how it made them feel when he filled their bucket (he has a tendency to be a bucket dipper). His face lit up when he heard his classmates saying how good he made them feel! Its important to me to show him that he is very capable of being a bucket filler and how he can positively effect those around him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My porcupine had a rough week this week. I did still try to let him know that I was here for him and that he could talk to to me but it was just not a good week for him. I still allowed him to come and take a break when he needed, I am still trying to find out better ways to deal with some other porcupines that I have been having her lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greet them every morning in Rise and Shine by name and smile (or trying to on the smile - I'm not always great at smiling at all the students - porcupines or not)
    I had two porcupines get caught cheating on a test. We talked about it in the hallway and they both admitted to their part - one asking for answers and one just copying from the others paper - I thanked them both for their honesty and how much I appreciated the fact that both admitted their roles in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just a safe, quiet place to land for a few porcupines. One of them is communicating more and tantrum-ing less, so I see that as progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I continue to hug my little porcupines by “forgetting” their track record and giving them an opportunity to start over fresh each day. Conversations with parents have helped, as well as frequent application of Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible to whatever situation is currently at hand. --April Hobson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ate lunch with a porcupine today-because he invited me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! They want our attention - any attention.

      Delete
  14. I work hard with my porcupine and always counseling about life to be prepare for the future. Let them know that respect others and have a beautiful smile in their face.

    ReplyDelete