Search This Blog

Friday, September 7, 2018

Sept 10 - 14

Opportunity Statement:   Coolidge Elementary will continue to provide all students with academic, social, and emotional growth opportunities through great teaching and the utilization of our community resources.  We will maintain high expectations for all students, as well as expand our efforts to cultivate a positive school culture that encourages intellectual and social growth.”


Coolidge Vision and Mission
Our Mission:  “Educate students for lifelong learning and responsible living.”
Our Vision:  “Provide a learning environment that promotes and develops academic and
social growth.”


Ms. Hensley - Rise N Shine this week.

Mon Sep 10 - Regular Day
Tues Sep 11 - Emergency Cert teachers training. PLC Meetings. 1 Hour Faculty Meeting. Pat will be here and we will be conducting classroom visits. OK Health Department here with 6th Rolland's class during specials for Healthy Relationships (A121).
Wed Sept 12 - Regular Day.
Thurs Sept 13 - Parent Teacher Conferences. Hospitality will be providing food for dinner. PreK parents will be attending Early Birds for an hour.
Fri Sept 14 - Parent Teacher Conferences No School 

Informal Observations Continue. Remember, EVERYONE must complete a Growth Plan using Marzano. Reflect on your classroom practices and student achievement goals. What can you work on that will improve you as a professional educator.


Benchmark Literacy:
You should be on WEEK 2 of Benchmark Literacy. Unit 1 test in Benchmark Literacy will be due on September 21st. Be prepared in PLC to look at the data on how your students performed on the assessment. Week 3 of Benchmark Literacy are the plays. Please plan on using those resources with your students.




Daily 5 and Block Schedules



People from all over the world use Daily 5 in high schools, middle schools, special education rooms, and classrooms that run on a 'block' schedule (45-50 minute periods). Daily 5 can work even with these abbreviated literacy blocks.  
If we keep in mind the fact that the Daily 5 is all about teaching children to be independent, participating in literacy activities supported by research so that we can work with individuals or small groups, it is easy to see how Daily 5 can fit into classrooms with limited timespans. But what does it look like?
We use the same 10 Steps to Independence to teach children how to Read to Self and Work on Writing, giving students ample time to build stamina.
Once stamina is built, we run the literacy block with either one or two rounds of Daily 5 during the block schedule. For older students, teachers typically do one round of Daily 5 where students Read to Self while the teacher confers individually. For younger students on a block schedule, teachers do 2 rounds of Daily 5 and students choose between Read to Self and Work on Writing each day.
Book Fair This Week


Lexia:
So far this year 61 students have "Leveled Up" with Lexia. 26 certificates were earned this week. 11% of our students are On Target, 19% have Some Risk, and 70% are considered AT RISK. 93% of 3rd-grade students are meeting their Lexia usage minutes.

Shout Out to Summit Students and Teachers and Students for earning their #firstgreen.                     





I'm sure the remaining students will earn theirs quickly. Several students were asking to test earlier.

When you are rocking Rise N Shine.  
 Simple Solutions
Issue #530


“Urgh.” The sound of frustration escaped when I put my cup under the ice dispenser and watched cubes bounce into and around it onto the floor.

My five-year-old grandson, who was munching dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets at the table, asked, “What’s the matter, Nana?”
“The ice maker missed my glass again. It’s so frustrating.”
Without even looking up, he innocently replied, “I just hold it closer to the opening.”
He was unaware of my stare as I wondered for a moment if such a simple solution could end my frustration. And indeed, it did. “Micah!” I said, “you are a genius!” I think of him and smile every time I get ice, which kerplink-kerplunksits way into the desired vessel with beautiful efficiency


Simple solutions are cause for joy and can make a difference in our classrooms, too. Once upon a time, my students didn’t always remember to turn in their go-home folders. They were supposed to put them in the turn-in tub each morning, but there would always be three or four hidden away in Spider-Man, SpongeBob, Ninja-Turtle, and Cinderella backpacks. I needed a system that would elevate the percentage of students who remembered. Since I greeted everyone in the morning anyway, I decided to hold the homework tub as they entered. Every child continued to get eye contact, a big smile, and a personalized greeting, and I received every go-home folder before the day had even begun.
Whether it’s getting things turned in on time, organizing our classroom libraries, or sorting student supplies, it is often the simple solutions to small frustrations that make our days and lives more enjoyable. Is it the same for you? What simple solutions have made systems, routines, and procedures better for you?

In the comments section, please share Simple Solutions that have made your days and lives more enjoyable as a member of the Coolidge Family.  


Children learn through play. Here is a Math Game - Number Top It that can be differeniated for many different math levels.





Where do I find?.........

OKCPS-OAS Crosswalks
OKCPS Standards by Bundles
Pre-Kindergarten  Bundles
Kindergarten  Bundles


Elementary ELA Year- at- a- Glance








32 comments:

  1. I try to avoid power struggles, never hold grudges, and let my students know that every day starts with a clean slate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds incredibly simple... but Color Coding my tables, have made the biggest difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to have lots of patience and keep in mind that all children have different abilities. I also try to have fun with the kids and never take myself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminding my students if they break a rule to admit it and we will talk about it and how make better choices.... but if you lie then that’s big trouble. They have finally started grasping its good to tell the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree, reminding students that they make the choices and if its a bad choice we talk about it. As long as they are honest they understand the consequences are not as bad as they think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I give my students a pencil box with 7 sharpened pencils on Friday. Every week they get 7 new sharpened pencils. It may be a small thing but I don't have to sharpen pencils during the week and they always have a pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have an index card holder (one of the plastic box things) with silly or funny or even weird things that have happened in my classroom. On really bad days, I open the box and read a funny story. It helps keep things into perspective, and remind me that even if I have a bad day, a good day will soon follow.

    I also have 2 desks that do not have legs on them. I added a pillow to each desk (as a chair). When students are having a difficult time having a desk and chair, I let them sit on the pillow at a floor desk. They love this! It keeps them at a desk working and not causing problems with a chair or larger desk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a treasure box that all my students love. When they return a reading log I let them go and pick up an item. Simple things make a huge difference in each child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After discussion with my recess partner (Baringer) we decided we needed an easier way to access our first aid kit at recess. After a trip to the thrift store, I found a small purse in the shape of a little girl. So now we have "First Aide Franny" that holds all of our first aide materials! The kiddos love her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made a roster with my students' emails and passwords to assist them logging into computers if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maintaining a lively pace and using academic games.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With this being my first teaching, I have learned to grow from the mistakes I make rather than getting frustrated that they didn't work out. This year is a year of learning and growth for me.
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greeting my students with a hug or high five every morning and giving another hug or high five on the way out for the day. It only takes a few minutes, but I love the smiles that my students leave with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to have my students turn in work categorized by the class, 'math,' 'reading,' etc., but so many pieces of work would get lost. Now, they each have a number with a 'completed folder' with that number. When they are finished with a piece of work, they can put it in that folder and it is less likely to get lost. This has made it much easier for all of us to keep up with their work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My simple solutions begin when students are given a choice to “fix their mistakes”, such as making up with another classmate after an argument. Also giving them the responsibility of being a “teacher” in my classroom to guide others who may struggle when we are working in groups or pairs. And always complimenting each other with two power claps or a high five for a job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try to greet each individual student everyday (fist bump, high five or similar) as they enter my class to let them know they are important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A positive enviorenment where students take risk and feel comfortable being an active part of the learning process. It is important for me to make my students aware of their behavior and allow them to think of better options for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Color coding our journals help make getting them out easier. They know their math journal is green and their word work journal is red. They can also help each other find their notebooks if I have a group I am working with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My label maker is my best friend. I label everything I store away and have slowly developed a system over the years so our classroom doesn't have a lot of clutter out. (Just don't look at my desk!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Class DOJO. When me students hear that ding of someone getting a point their behavior increases 10 fold, even if it is just for a minute. They earn points and can buy prizes or free dress days.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I use a 5 minute timer before each class starts during which students can talk at a 3 level and are to get out their supplies they will need for the day. This allows them and me to have a few minutes to decompress and prepare for class.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Remind my students that everyday is a new day, especially if some have had a rough one. I also give students examples of prior classroom achievements, letting them know that any one of them can achieve with hard work and determination.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Having an organizational system that is easy for the kids to understand and use has been so helpful. They are able to access materials more independently and with more confidence when everything is color coded!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Teaching students to begin to solve their problems. Such as when a pencil breaks...instead of asking the teacher what to do they learn to solve the problem like getting another pencil without asking the teacher. This may seem like a small thing but it will grow and become huge as the year continues.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Having a routine with my students that they are familiar with helps with keeping them on task and staying organized.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Instead of having the younger students come in a sit while they tie their shoes, I have them walk on the green an blue lines. This gives them time to tie their shoes if needed or to simply get focused for their P.E. time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Procedures and routines-- the easiest way to keep down chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have learned to take it one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time.

    ReplyDelete